Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Corgis have very thick coats


Now they say I have fleas. MB treated me with the goop on the back of the neck, treated the yard with some ghastly stuff (she wouldn't let me back there for two days), has sprayed all the throw rugs and has bathed me numerous times, but the fleas persist. She's feeding me garlic and yeast powder -- which actually tastes pretty good on my kibble -- and she's rolling me over on my back and combing me every day and night to catch the mini-monsters by hand. The worst is the collar -- an "herbal" collar -- that does nothing but make my eyes water.

Last night she set on the floor a dish with soapy water, in the center of which she lit a votive candle. The idea was that the fleas would go leaping into the dish toward the candle after we'd gone to bed and turned the lights out.

This morning there were no fleas in the dish, and MB was very disappointed.

Unfortunately, MB had kept the room so cool that the fleas weren't in the mood to stray from my warm fuzzy body; they'd snuggled down and snoozed with me throughout the night.

This is going to be a terrible summer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember picking the ticks off of Chama and Oliver and putting them in rubbing alcohol to kill them? I don't think soapy water in a dish with a votive (sounds Satanic) is gonna do the trick.

12:18 AM  
Blogger AveMedea said...

Incorrect. No "ticks" were ever, ever on Chama or Oliver. Occasionally a flea did trespass, but in those instances, we put them in shampoo, not rubbing alcohol, and watched them writhe in slow-motion agony against the weight of the Breck.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lokey-
you must be hot in this weather with your thick coat. Have you ever had a haircut?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Lokey said...

We've thought about it, but my coat isn't long. It's just very, very dense on my back and sides. This is why I am often found lying against a cool surface on my belly, with my forepaws sticking straight out front and my back legs splayed behind.

This posture wins admiring remarks every time.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home