Sunday, March 12, 2006

Eighty-something in early March

What gives? It was practically hot today. In fact, if I had been exerting myself the way MB and Clem were, it would have been almost uncomfortable. MB swept, dusted, even scrubbed (though not so much that anyone would notice), and Clem was sorting rocks from the clay of the flower bed in the front yard. I guess it's a flower bed. MB came out and looked at it and said it used to be a berm against water erosion. Clem says it will still be a berm, but it's looking a little flat now. We haven't had much rain lately, anyway.

I did my part. Clem says he thinks I could get as far as Singapore if I keep at it with my new hole. I've found that I can actually use my head against an interior wall of the hole to get traction for deeper and more forceful digging. Also, I like the cool of the mud that is pressed into my forehead and nose when I do this. MB looked at me and shouted in astonishment at the progress I was able to make with this new maneuver.

They gave me my inaugural Spring bath and it isn't even Spring yet.

MB warmed the bath with jugs full of hot water from the sink mixed with hose water. It felt great when she rubbed under my toes and between my pads with that warm soapy water. The water turned the orange-red of the clay from my Singapore portal. They dumped it out across the concrete and it ran into the backyard. I can't wait to meet that mud when Clem throws the ball for me after supper. When it came time for rinsing they didn't bother with temperature adjustments -- just sprayed me down straight from the hose. YEEEOOOOWSAH~ The air was hot but the water was still plenty cold. They pulled me out of the tub, and MB wrapped me with a towel and held me close to dry me off. MB has her faults, but when she holds me on my back on her lap and rubs my feet and belly and chest up and down and back and forth, I find myself thinking that my lot in life is not all bad. Later, after I've been fed and played ball with Clem, she'll comb me and talk about what a good boy I am.

They seem to have exhausted themselves. Clem has Santana on the CD and he and MB are puttering on their computers. I'm licking MB's sandals, which taste so good I don't understand why she and Clem never lick their footwear.

This is the perfect snooze time. My eyes are feeling heavy and the smell of MB's feet is mixing with that of my wet fur for a lullaby of scent. When I wake up it will be time for supper.

What a beautiful Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home